In this episode of Third Culture Africans, Zeze Oriaikhi-Sao is joined by Bukky Asehinde, a community leader, marketing and communications expert, digital marketing specialist, entrepreneur coach and mentor. They discuss entrepreneurship, creativity, and the journey of building a business in the African market.
Bukky Asehinde’s inspiring journey encompasses the immigrant experience and the pursuit of success in a new country. As the founder of Bellafricana, she has created one of Africa’s largest networks of creative African-owned businesses. Her initiatives, including The African Creative Exhibition and Awards, celebrate innovation across the continent. Bukky’s accomplishments also include organizing a Pop-Up event in Central London, showcasing African brands, and raising significant funds for her community members. Through her work, she has empowered entrepreneurs, providing them with invaluable skills for growth.
During the episode, Bukky shares her early days in entrepreneurship, her studies in biochemistry, and the influence of her supportive mother. She discusses her experience working at McDonald’s while studying and her determination to support her family through hard work.
The conversation moves on to Bukky’s transition to Nigeria and her decision to pursue a career in digital marketing. She explains how her passion for showcasing Nigerian creativity led her to start Bellafricana. Bukky emphasizes the importance of digital marketing and connecting with people through technology.
They discuss the challenges faced by entrepreneurs, including failure rates, product-market fit, marketing strategy, and team building. Bukky highlights the importance of data-driven decision-making and understanding demand versus supply.
The conversation also touches on future-proofing businesses, staying adaptable, and supporting micro-small businesses, particularly women. Bukky shares the collaborations Bellafricana has with organizations like the Nigeria Export Promotion Council and the Bank of Industry, which provide entrepreneurs with support and information.
Tune in to be inspired by Bukky Asehinde’s entrepreneurial journey and gain insights into digital marketing, data-driven decision-making, and the role of community in empowering entrepreneurs. Get ready to embark on your own business endeavors with motivation and valuable lessons learned.
If you are an African fashion, beauty or lifestyle brand based in the UK and want to be part of the 10 amazing brands to reserve a spot, please go HERE
- 🎙️ Welcome Bukky Asehinde to Third Culture Africans! – 00:00:00
- 📚 Exploring Bukky’s early years and her transition to the field of biochemistry (03:30)
- 👩👧👦 Supportive role of Bukky’s mother in allowing her to pursue her interests (05:01) 🍟 Balancing work and studies, including Bukky’s experience as a shift manager at McDonald’s (06:20)
- 🌍 Moving to Nigeria: Transitioning from Biochemistry to starting off in a sales role and tech (10:32)
- 💻 Embracing Opportunity: Starting a Business Against All Odds (16:58)
- ⏰ Overcoming hesitations and embracing digital marketing strategies (18:21)
- 🌍 Building a business alongside a network: Time invested in digital marketing (22:27)
- 🤝 Focusing on Bellafricana: Providing support and guidance to creative entrepreneurs (25:46)
- 📊 Decoding Startup Failure: Key Factors and the importance of data-driven decision-making (30:45)
- 🌟 Zeze Navigating the Challenges of Retail and the Importance of Diversification (36:39)
- 🔮 Future-proofing businesses and adapting to changing trends (40:05)
- 🌱 Empowering Young Entrepreneurs: Connecting Business Skills and Support (43:14)
Connect with Bukky Asehinde:
- Linkedin – https://uk.linkedin.com/in/bukky-asehinde-b1910376
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/bukkyasehinde
- Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/bukkyasehinde/?hl=en
- Bukky Asehinde – https://bukkyasehinde.com/